Active Topics  Memberlist  Search  Help   Register  Login
General Real Estate
 Tigrent Learning : General Real Estate
Subject Topic: Title 1 vs 203K Loans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

Joined: 19 January 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Posted: 24 June 2005 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote darrellross

What are the main differences in Title 1 Loans and 203K loans. They look very similar to me. Are the 203's as good as Title 1 for rehabbing?


Back to Top View darrellross's Profile Search for other posts by darrellross Visit darrellross's Homepage
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: 21 February 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1864
Posted: 24 June 2005 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Whitneynewbie

There are three fundamental ways to finance a New Construction home project:
  • Single-close Construction-to-Permanent loan (CTP)
  • Double-close Construction-to-Permanent loan (CTP)
  • Traditional Construction "end loan"
Single-close CTP: This is the most common and cost-efficient construction loan option. The single-close allows homeowners to qualify and close with one application - one set of fees - one closing - one loan. This loan provides funds that are disbursed as needed during the construction phase and then converts to a permanent, fully-amortized mortgage at time of completion. The loan requires 'interest-only' payments be made on the monies disbursed during the construction phase. Most custom builders prefer this type of loan since the buyer, not the builder, finances the cost of construction. A single-close is typically the only choice when purchasing a modular home. Many lenders offer single-close CTP loans but few specialize in it.

Double-close CTP: This is the traditional method of construction financing that many lenders still offer today. A double-close CTP loan provides two separate loans: an interim 'interest-only' construction phase loan to build the home and then a new permanent, fully-amortized mortgage when the home is completed. Two applications - two sets of fees - two closings - two loans. There are few advantages to this loan type simply because it is more expensive than a single-close CTP loan.

Construction End-loan: A construction end-loan is simply a permanent mortgage that does not have a construction phase feature. It provides the buyer a traditional mortgage to purchase a completed new construction home. This option typically applies in subdivisions, condominiums and planned unit developments where the Builder or Developer has obtained the construction financing to complete the project and the buyer simply needs to obtain an end loan.

There are other construction-category loan types available for specific needs:
  • Lot Loan - for the purchase of open land or a building lot
  • Bridge Loan - to access equity in your current home for down payment on your new construction loan


FHA Home Improvement Loan - FHA Title 1

The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) makes it easier for consumers to obtain affordable home improvement loans by allowing loans up to $25,000 without any equity in the home. In otherwords, the loan can exceed the value of the home.

The Title I program insures loans to finance the light or moderate rehabilitation of properties, as well as the construction of nonresidential buildings on the property. This program may be used to insure such loans for up to 20 years on either single- or multifamily properties. The maximum loan amount is $25,000 for improving a single-family home or for improving or building a nonresidential structure.

For improving a multifamily structure, the maximum loan amount is $12,000 per family unit, not to exceed a total of $60,000 for the structure. These are fixed-rate loans.

Eligible borrowers include the owner of the property to be improved, the person leasing the property (provided that the lease will extend at least 6 months beyond the date when the loan must be repaid), or someone purchasing the property under a land installment contract.

Title I loans may be used to finance permanent property improvements that protect or improve the basic livability or utility of the property--including manufactured homes, single-family and multifamily homes, nonresidential structures, and the preservation of historic homes. The loans can also be used for fire safety equipment.

Back to Top View Whitneynewbie's Profile Search for other posts by Whitneynewbie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum